Sunday 18 February 2018

Long Sunday run - Nasty Dog moment

The weather was pretty grotty as I set out this morning and did not really improve during my long run loop towards Abergavenny, Forest Coal Pit and then back towards Crickhowell.

Usually whilst out running, you notice the lost odd glove, hat or single shoe discarded forlornly on the side of roads but this morning, I witnessed a perfect placing of trainers underneath a phone box.  If they are yours - they are located on the A40 just after Pscodlyn Farm Campsite


Onwards towards Abergavenny and a little beep alerted me to one of my running buddies at Parc Bryn Bach club who was in Bailey Garage getting fuel....at this point, I was 10km into my run.

A rather cheeky hill climb took me upwards towards Pantygelli and the roads were now single carriage way.


I beared left towards Bettws a little further on and at this point my phone decided not to allow me to take any further photos, although it did take a good one of the inside of my running jacket.


A few more sneaky hills towards Forest Coal Pit and I stopped to say hello to some friendly horses where on hindsight, I should have stopped to relieve myself of the little sips of water I had been taking on.    Note the hindsight, insight coming in here ......

I ran on, minding my own business and then became aware of a growling getting louder behind me and when I turned around, a teeth barred collie was bounding towards me in that mental way that only collies can run.    Classic fight and flight kicked and my immediate physical reaction was to evacuate my bladder at some force  and scream at the mangy looking mutt and it ran back.

Imagine my horror as I then decided to run away a bit quicker, to find that the cheeky little fiend decided to come back for another attack!   This time, my complete anger at having wet my pants took over and I prepared myself to kick the shit of the bloody thing (sorry dog lovers but defence is vital). 

As it came closer, the farmers daughter in me came out to stand my ground and I turned to face it using appropriate language and my bestest "children" telling off voice.


I wish I could have taken a picture as it conceded immediate defeat and ran away with its tail well and truly wedged between its arse end.....if I had used my foot, it most certainly would have been.

The rest of my little journey home carried on without incident and I rewarded myself with a cup of coffee, squidgy brownie and an long Epsom salts soak in the bath after my 16 miler.



No comments:

Post a Comment